Construction of the German Lutheran Church in Baku which is known as a the Church of the Saviour was carried out between 1896 and 1899. The architect was German named Eikhler who based his design on the Gothic style.
The cornerstone-laying ceremony was held on March 21, 1896 with the Baku governor Pavel Lileyev and the city head Iretsky being present. The church was constrructed on donations from believers, including the Nobel brothers, and cost 70,000 rubles.
On June 24, 1898, a thirteen-pud (213 kilograms (470 lb)) gilded cross was raised a top (kirkha tower) the church.The cost of the cross, which was 15,000 rubles, was paid by Bruno de Bur, brother of Lev de Burun, the head of the Lutheran community. In early 1899 a bell and an organ were installed, On february, 1899 the church housed its first organ concert. On March 14, 1899, a blessing ceremony of the Savior Lutheran Church of the German-Swedish congregation (prixod) took place. More than one thousand people, including Governor Vladimir Rogge, attended the ceremony.
On April 23, 1900, the church housed its first religious organ concert, where Johann Sebastian Bach's works were performed. Later, such concerts became traditional and continued until 1928.
In the years of independence, with the decision adopted by the Cabinet of Ministers, the building was reorganized into organ and chamber music hall and was given into the guardianship of Azerbaijan State Philharmonic.
On March 15, 2010, the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev signed and order on reconstruction of the building, taking into account the importance of the building of the Chamber and Organ Music Hall as a historical and architectural monument and cultural center.
One million manat was allocated from the Reserve Fund of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan for reconstruction and overhaul of the organ and chamber musical hall. President of the Azerbaijan Republic Ilham Aliyev and his spouse Mehriban Aliyeva attended the opening ceremony on December 30, 2010 following its capital reconstruction and overhaul. Azerbaijani specialists carried out the major reconstruction and overhaul works, by preserving the original style and the ancient historical architecture of the building. Special attention was paid to the acoustics of the building, which is one of the most beautiful examples of traditional German gothic architecture. Moreover, for the first time ever, a ventilation system has been installed in the building.
The church currently operates as the Chamber and Organ Music Hall of the Azerbaijan State Philharmonic.