The Twin-Minaret Mosque was built in 1908 by a Baku millionnaire, Murtuza Mukhtarov, and is still popularly known as the Murtuza Mukhtarov Mosque. The prayer hall covers an area of 196 square metres and the women’s prayer room 84 square metres.
A dome with round windows in the lower part rests from inside on tall arched columns. The prayer hall is 19 metres high, floor to dome and the entry door six metres high. Unlike any other mosque in Baku and the villages of Absheron, it has two minarets, each rising 47 metres. A circle set above the Mihrab symbolizes the existence of Allah, five arches represent the main prophets, four fine columns the holy books and four fine lines beneath them 12 Shi’ite Imams.
Murtuza Mukhtarov built two mosques in 1908, one in his hometown of Amirjan, the other in the city of Vladikavkaz. The one in Amirjan was designed by architect Ziverbey Ahmedbeyov, the mosque in Vladikavkaz by architect Jozef Ploszko.
Legend has it that Murtuza Mukhtarov would often go to this mosque for prayer. He ordered a custom-made Holy Koran in Istanbul, which he gave to the mosque. Murtuza Mukhtarov died bravely fighting the Bolsheviks who broke into his home in Baku in 1920, and was buried in the courtyard of the Twin-Minaret Mosque that he had built.